Thursday 30 October 2008

27th OCTOBER



GREEN HERON

Well, a little bit of twitching never hurt anyone i guess! Went down to Kent today for a look at the Green Heron. What a spectacular bird! Very close views allowing great digiscoping oppurtunities.

On the way home I stopped in at Rainham Marshes to see if could find any of the party of three or more Serins that have been around for the last week or so.
I had brief views of one at the west end of the seawall by the landfill site. On the way back to the centre I found this pristine adult Yellow-legged Gull on the foreshore.

As I reached the centre I suddenly noticed an immature Serin perched on the low fence right in front of me barely 40 feet away! It gave great views to a small group of us for about 45 minutes, often flying about and calling. A very evocative sound!

No comments: