Thursday 26 February 2009

Waterworks NR 25/02/09

Joined a conservation volunteer work party yesterday doing some habitat management on Bed No.17. Very rewarding it was too, although my arms are still aching 30 hours later!
There was a good turnout of 16 people, all seemingly regulars of the Lee Valley Regional Park work parties, I was the only new kid. The work consisted of cutting reeds (phragmites) in order to maintain areas of open water. The different beds here are arrested at different stages of ecological succession from open water to alder and willow carr.
One of the highlight of the day was the number of Snipe we flushed off the bed when we started work. 35! More than I've ever seen here before. Just goes to show how many birds you can hide in there without knowing about them all. They were back on the bed this morning, I counted about 20 but I guess there's a few more out there!

Another highlight was a singing male Cetti's Warbler. This is a bird I've not seen here before. Apparently it's been around for a week or two, but I haven't been down here for a while. I hope it stays and finds a mate!


Cetti's Warbler 1
Common Snipe 35
Reed Bunting 1
Redwing 2
Shoveler 12+
Teal
Grey Wagtail

No comments: